Saturday, March 10, 2012

At the Book Fair

Spent $40 for five titles at the annual book fair, all for reading:
  • A Variety of Things by Max Beerbohm. I confused Beerbohm with Max Bodenheim, but on later reading that Evelyn Waugh admired Beerbohm's writing, I look forward to this one.
  • The Miraculous Barber by Marcel Ayme. Had never heard of this French writer. "The best satirical novel since Anatole France ..." on the rear jacket sold me.
  • Droll Stories by Balzac. A Modern Library edition. 
  • The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. A new translation published by Everyman's Library.
  • Group Portrait With Lady by Heinrich Boll. Sharp copy in DJ of a large novel.
I think if I stopped buying books now, I might just be able to finish reading what I'd like to before my eternal rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive