Friday, November 12, 2010

Buying a Book for No Good Reason

I recently won an auction online for The Bonney Family by Ruth Suckow. I didn't know the book, had barely heard of the author, and really had no good reason for making a bid. When it arrived today I was reminded that although there may be no good reasons for buying a particular book, there are always reasons. Such as:

  • The book is a signed, limited edition of the first edition. My copy is No. 39 of 95. Ninety-five is a small limitation, as these things go. If Ruth Suckow ever makes a comeback, my $9.95 will have been well spent.
  • $9.95 is about a fifth to a tenth of the going price. I realize a book is worth only what someone is willing to pay, but even as a shelf-filler it will have been worth it.
  • The book was published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1928. Knopf insisted that his books be well-made and attractive. This one is beautiful, in fine condition, and printed on Borzoi Rag Paper. It makes the books publishers put out today look like junk.
  • Who knows? I might read it and find out that I love Ruth Suckow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive